Visiting the UK from 1 January 2021

The Home Office have recently issued information regarding what you need to know about crossing the UK border and visiting the UK from 1 January 2021.

Here’s what you need to know.

(Updated as of 04 December 2020)

What do I need when visiting the UK?

  • Irish citizens will continue to have free movement as their current status dictates
  • EU, EEA and Swiss citizens may continue holidays and short trips to the UK without the need of a visa
  • EEA or Swiss national ID cards will no longer be effective to enter the UK from 1 October 2021
  • National ID cards may be used to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025 if you:
    • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
    • have a frontier worker permit
    • are an S2 Healthcare Visitor
    • are a Swiss Service Provider

Correct documentation must be shown at the UK border from 1 January 2021. Documents not listed here may not be used.

Additionally, If you’re a non-EEA family member of an EEA or Swiss citizen, documents needed to travel will not change until at least 2021. Further information will be provided in due course.

What can I bring when visiting the UK?

From January 2021, there will be changes pertaining to the following when visiting the UK:

  • Pets
  • Goods
  • Merchandise
  • Cash

Can I access healthcare when visiting the UK?

For the latest information pertaining to NHS healthcare, EEA and Swiss citizens should check the latest information here.

Can I drive when visiting the UK?

If you have a non-UK driving license, you will still be able to drive in the UK without an international driving permit (IDP).

“If you have vehicle insurance issued in the EU, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia or Switzerland, you should carry an insurance green card or other valid proof of insurance.

To be valid, other proof of insurance must be a document issued by the vehicle insurance provider which includes the”:

  • name of the insurance provider
  • number plate or other identifying particulars of the vehicle
  • period of insurance cover

Please be advised that the above information is not exhaustive as there are more requirements and points to consider.

For more information provided by Bolton’s leading Immigration Solicitors on visiting the UK: information for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens, send an email to or contact us on 01204 531 535 to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.

Compass Immigration Law LTD:

“The direct route to immigration expertise.”

Follow us:


Twitter: @CompassImmLaw_


Instragram: @CompassImmLawLtd


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *