Visa extensions for health workers during Coronavirus (COVID-19)

“If you’re a health worker, you may be eligible for a 1-year extension to your visa for free. This is because of Coronavirus (COVID-19).”

Here’s what you need to know.

(Updated as of 15 June 2020)

To get the extension, you must:

  • have a visa that expires between 31 March and 1 October 2020
  • work for the NHS or an independent healthcare provider in an eligible profession

The extension will apply from the date your visa is due to expire.

If your visa is due to expire after 1 October 2020, you will not get the free extension. You’ll need to extend your visa in the normal way.

If you’re eligible, your family members may also be able to get a 1-year extension.

Eligible professions

Your visa will be extended if you’re a:

  • biochemist
  • biological scientist
  • dental practitioner
  • health professional
  • medical practitioner
  • medical radiographer
  • midwife
  • nurse
  • occupational therapist
  • ophthalmologist
  • paramedic
  • pharmacist
  • physiotherapist
  • podiatrist
  • psychologist
  • social worker
  • speech and language therapist
  • therapy professional

Check with your employer if you’re not sure whether you work in an eligible profession.

Family members

Your family members may also be able to get a 1-year extension to their visas for free. To be eligible, all of the following must be true:

  • you’re an eligible health worker and your visa expires between 31 March and 1 October 2020
  • your family member is a dependant on your visa
  • your family member’s visa expires between 31 March and 1 October 2020

The extension will apply from the date their visa is due to expire.

How to get the extension

Your employer will tell UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) if you’re eligible for the extension.

Once your employer tells you to, post your and your family’s current biometric residence permits (BRPs) to UKVI. Your employer might offer to do this for you.

If both you and your family members are eligible, you must send your BRPs together. Family members cannot send their BRPs themselves.

UK Visas and Immigration

PO Box 3468


S3 8WA

UKVI will return your BRPs to your employer after your visa has been extended.

It’s free and you will not have to pay the immigration health surcharge as part of this extension.

If you’ve already applied for an extension

Email the UKVI NHS team to withdraw your existing visa extension application and apply for a refund.

You cannot do this if you have already provided your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) as part of that application.

UK Visas and Immigration NHS team

For more information on the Visa extensions for health workers during coronavirus (COVID-19), send an email to or contact us on 01204 531 535 to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.

To limit the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), until further notice, our drop-in service and all scheduled appointments will be held remotely. Please be advised that whilst our remote drop-in service will be held on Mondays between 10am – 1:30pm, our Friday service (usually held in Preston) has been cancelled for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe.

Compass Immigration Law LTD:

“The direct route to immigration expertise.”

Follow us:


Twitter: @CompassImmLaw_


Instragram: @CompassImmLawLtd


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *