The Home Office have recently issued information for EU citizens regarding the UK’s points-based immigration system.
Here’s what you need to know.
(Updated as of 09 December 2020)
What is the UK points-based immigration system?
Due to the UK leaving the European Union on 31 January 2020, free movement between the UK and the EU will end on 31 December 2020. In turn, this means:
- From 1 January 2021, a points-based immigration system will be implemented to prioritise skills over a person’s background.
- If you do not live in the UK, or have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you must meet specific requirements to study or work in the UK
- You will need to pass checks such as UK criminality
- You can continue to visit the UK for up to 6 months at a time
How will the UK points-based immigration system impact EU citizens already living in the UK?
EU, EEA or Swiss citizens (and their family) living in the UK by 31 December 2020 can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021.
How do you apply through the UK points-based immigration system?
- Applications can be made online via gov.uk
- You must meet the relevant criteria and accrue the necessary points for the visa you require
- Visa routes will open up and continue into 2021
- Though most people can complete applications via smartphone apps, some applicants may need to attend a Visa Application Centre
- An application fee must be paid and if you intend to be in the UK for more than 6 months, an Immigration Health Surcharge must be paid (granting access to the National Health Service)
Which visas are available through the UK points-based immigration system?
Through the UK’s new points-based immigration system, there are numerous options available dependent on the type of visa you require. These include but are not limited to:
- Skilled worker visa
- Skilled work: Health and Care visa
- Global Talent
- Start-up / Innovator visa
- Specialist occupations such as
- Minister of religion
- Student / Graduate visa
Please be advised that the above information is not exhaustive as there are more requirements and points to consider.
For more information provided by Bolton’s leading Immigration Solicitors on the UK’s points-based immigration system: information for EU citizens?, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us on 01204 531 535 to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.
Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe.
Compass Immigration Law LTD:
“The direct route to immigration expertise.”