The Home office have recently issued guidance on where to get tested for tuberculosis (TB) in South Africa for your UK visa application.
Here’s what you need to know.
(Updated as of 12 February 2021)
Why would I need to be tested for tuberculosis in South Africa for a UK visa?
If you are a resident of South Africa, Lesotho or Swaziland and you wish to come to the UK for more than 6 months, you must be tested for tuberculosis. Tests must be conducted by a Home Office approved clinic and you must obtain an IOM medical certificate to confirm you are free from TB. Any test conducted by a non-Home Office approved clinic will be accepted.
Are there any instances where I would not need to be tested for tuberculosis in South Africa for a UK visa?
You would not require a tb test certificate if you:
- are a diplomatic passport holder travelling on official business or on a posting to the UK
- qualify for an exempt visa
- are applying for a certificate of entitlement
- applying as a returning resident
Please note that as there are no approved test clinics in Lesotho or Swaziland, you must travel to South Africa for a TB test at an approved clinic.
Where are the approved test clinics to be tested for tuberculosis in South Africa for a UK Visa?
- Cape Town
- Shipmed Medical Services
- Walker Creek Office Park
How do I make an appointment at a test clinic to be tested for tuberculosis in South Africa for a UK Visa?
Appointments can be arranged via telephone or email. When contacting the clinic to arrange an appointment, you must clarify you need the test for a UK visa application.
What do I need to know about attending a test clinic to be tested for tuberculosis in South Africa for a UK Visa?
- You must contact the IOM office to book a TB screening appointment
- You miust not attend the cloinic without your IOM confirmation of your TB screening appointment through the IOM office
- You must make it clear that the tb test is for the UK visa application
- Appointments are usually granted within a few days. In some instances (such as the UK visa peak season between June – September) it may take 10 days
- If your test shows that you do now have TB, you will be granted a certificate which is valid for 6 months from the date of your x-ray
What should I bring with me to test clinic to be tested for tuberculosis in South Africa for a UK Visa?
- your passport or UNHCR/MHA registration documents.
- proof of payment of the test fee (printed)
If you’d like an appointment with a female clinician, please ask when you schedule your appointment.
If you need to cancel your appointment you should contact the IOM and refer to their cancellation policy and procedure.
How much does it cost to be tested for tuberculosis in India for a UK Visa?
Fees vary dependent on the clinic you select to do your test.
Please be advised that the above information is not exhaustive as there are more requirements and points to consider.
For more information provided by Bolton’s leading Immigration Solicitors on South Africa: tuberculosis test clinics for a UK visa, send an email to email@example.com to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.
Compass Immigration Law LTD:
“The direct route to immigration expertise.”