When you request personal information held on the Home Office’s immigration records, this is known as a ‘subject access request’. As there are three types of requests (each with different requirements), this guide will provide further information.
Here’s what you need to know.
(Updated as of 24 March 2020)
- Electronic summary of your immigration history
- Visa applications submitted from outside the UK (as part of entry clearance)
- Entry and exit in and out of the UK
- A list of your applications
- A particular decision letter
- The outcome of an appeal
Here, you can request a copy of your Home Office paper file. Though an electronic summary will be sent initially (as with a basic application), this option allows you to request further information which may not have been included in the basic request.
Applications can be made online via www.visas-immigration.service.gov.uk or by email at email@example.com. Please be advised that due to coronavirus (COVID-19) disruption, the Home Office are currently unable to respond to requests sent via post or requests for paper records.
As the subject access request service provides personal information, evidence will be required to ensure the identity of the parties involved. Evidence includes but is not limited to:
- Photo identification – passport/driving licence/bio-metric residence card
- Written confirmation of a true likeness from: solicitor/chartered legal executive/registered charity
- Letter of permission
- Proof of relationship – If the request is being made on behalf of a child under 12
For more information on requesting personal information held in the borders, immigration and citizenship system, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us on 01204 531 535 to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.
To limit the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), until further notice, our drop-in service and all scheduled appointments will be held remotely. Please be advised that whilst our remote drop-in service will be held on Mondays between 10am – 1:30pm, our Friday service (usually held in Preston) has been cancelled for the foreseeable future.
Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe.
Compass Immigration Law LTD:
“The direct route to immigration expertise.”