“For visa or citizenship applications, you may need to prove your knowledge of English by passing a secure English language test (SELT).”
Here’s what you need to know.
(Updated as of 15 October 2020)
- There are 2 types of test as different immigration routes require different levels of English language ability. The test you will need to take depends on what you are applying for
- For the following application routes, you will need to take a test that assesses your reading, writing, speaking and listening abilities:
- Tier 2 (General)
- Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)
- For the following application routes, you will need to take a test that assesses your speaking and listening abilities:
- Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
- Representative of an Overseas Business
- Settlement (also known as indefinite leave to remain)
- SELT’s will only be available from approved providers
- For your results to be accepted, your test must:
- be on the list of approved English language tests
- have been sat at an approved test location
- You will need to provide evidence of your identity at the test location before you can take the test. Your identity document must:
- be current and valid
- be an original, not a photocopy
- include a photo of you
- match the information you gave when you booked the test
- After you pass the test, you will be given an SELTunique reference number which you must use when making your application. If you do not include your reference number, your application may be refused.
- You can make special requests when you book your test if, for example, you have a disability and need extra equipment or help accessing the test location.
- You will not need to take an English language test if you:
- currently have a Tier 4 (Child) student visa
- have completed a course in the UK as a Tier 4 (Child) student – the course must have been at least 6 months long and have ended in the past 2 years
- are from a majority English-speaking country
- have previously completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in a majority English-speaking country
Please be advised that the above information is not exhaustive as there are more requirements and points to consider.
For more information on proving your English language abilities with a secure English language test (SELT), send an email to email@example.com or contact us on 01204 531 535 to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.
Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe.
Compass Immigration Law LTD:
“The direct route to immigration expertise.”