The Home Office have recently issued guidance pertaining to frontier worker permits for EU citizens.
Here’s what you need to know.
(Updated as of 11 December 2020)
What is a frontier worker?
A frontier worker is an EU or Swiss citizen that is employed / self-employed in the UK but reside elsewhere. A frontier worker can still enter the UK for work once free movement ends if they were working in the UK on or before 31 December 2020. From 1 July 2021, a frontier worker permit will be required to enter the UK for work.
Am I eligible to apply for a frontier worker permit?
“You can apply for a frontier worker permit if you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and you”:
- live outside the UK
- started working in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 and continue to work here
“Your frontier worker permit will last for 5 years. You may be eligible for a five-year permit if you’re on maternity or paternity leave when you apply, and you will return to your previous employment, or find another job, at the end of this period.”
How do I apply for a frontier worker permit?
- Applications can be made free of charge online at gov.uk
- The three steps to make an application are:
- Confirming your identity and contact
- Preparing your application
- Providing evidence and submitting your application
- You can cancel your application if required
What happens if my frontier worker permit application is successful?
- If successful and your identity was verified using the UK Immigration: ID check app, a digital frontier worker permit will be issued
- If you did not verify through the app, you will either:
- Receive a physical version if you applied within the UK
- Be sent an email detailing the process to collect from the UK if you applied from outside the UK
How do I renew my frontier worker permit?
You will be required to renew your permit every 5 years, or 2 if you applied with a retained worker status. The eligibility and suitability requirements must be met to renew your permit.
Please be advised that the above information is not exhaustive as there are more requirements and points to consider.
For more information on Frontier workers permit for EU citizens, send an email to email@example.com or contact us on 01204 531 535 to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.
Thank you for your cooperation and stay safe.
Compass Immigration Law LTD:
“The direct route to immigration expertise.”