Coronavirus (COVID-19): get support if you’re a migrant living in the UK

The Home Office have recently issued information explaining the support you can get if you do not have permission to live permanently in the UK.

Here’s what you need to know.

(Updated as of 11 November 2020)

“You may not be able to access public funds but you may be able to get support from the UK government if you’re a migrant living in the UK.

You can apply for access to public funds by making a ‘change of conditions’ application if you have a UK family or private life visa and either:”

  • you’re destitute or at risk of destitution
  • your child’s welfare is at risk due to low income
  • you’re in other exceptional financial circumstances

Additionally the guidance includes information on:

  • If you need medical treatment in the UK
    • If you’re considered vulnerable because of a medical condition
    • If you are asked to self-isolate
  • If you’re employed in the UK
    • If you’re self employed
  • If you’re studying in the UK
  • If you cannot afford housing costs
    • If you’re renting the house
    • If you’re paying the mortgage
    • Local authority support
  • If you’re an asylum seeker

Please be advised that the above information is not exhaustive as there are more requirements and points to consider.

For more information provided by Bolton’s leading Immigration Solicitors on Coronavirus (COVID-19): get support if you’re a migrant living in the UK, send an email to or contact us on 01204 531 535 to book a telephone/Skype consultation. The fee is £30.

Compass Immigration Law LTD:

“The direct route to immigration expertise.”

Follow us:


Twitter: @CompassImmLaw_


Instragram: @CompassImmLawLtd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *