British Nationals (Overseas) in Hong Kong

The Home office have recently issued guidance pertaining to British nationals (overseas) on immigration to the UK following the announcement of national security legislation in Hong Kong.

Here’s what you need to know.

(Updated as of 13 May 2021)

What is the new immigration route for British Nationals (overseas) in Hong Kong?

The BNO (British Nationals Overseas) visa is a new immigration route available to British nationals (overseas) and their close family members.

What is the current status of British Nationals (overseas) in Hong?

  • You can stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months without a visa if you are a British national (overseas)
  • As a visitor, you do not have the right to live, work or engage in long term study
  • You must leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • You are advised to get the relevant travel / health insurance as you cannot access public funds

Could I be eligible for ‘leave outside the rules’ at the border as a British National (overseas)?

Border force officers may consider granting ‘Leave Outside the Rules’ at the UK border for a period of up to 6 months to you and your accompanying dependents if you are not eligible to enter the UK under an existing immigration route. Once granted, an application can be made for the BNO visa within the UK.

To be considered, you’ll need to show:

To be considered, you’ll need to show:

  • your identity
  • your British national (overseas) status
  • that you normally live in Hong Kong or the UK
  • that you can accommodate and support yourself financially in the UK

You’ll also need to show evidence of any non-British national (overseas) dependants’ family links to you and you should travel together to the UK as a family unit. A dependant is any of the following:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • unmarried partner
  • child (under the age of 18 when they first applied)
  • adult child born on or after 1 July 1997 (and their partner or child under the age of 18) who normally lives with you
  • other family members in exceptional circumstances where there is a high level of dependency who normally live with you

Please be advised that the above information is not exhaustive as there are more requirements and points to consider.

For more information provided by Bolton’s leading Immigration Solicitors on British National (Overseas) visa in Hong Kong, call us now on 01204 531 535 or send an email to The fee is £30.

Compass Immigration Law LTD:

“The direct route to immigration expertise.”

Follow us:


Twitter: @CompassImmLaw_


Instragram: @CompassImmLawLtd




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *